Thursday, October 27, 2011

Monitor for Sale

At first, I thought an apnea monitor would give me peace of mind.  Now I understand how anxious I am to get rid of it.  Clayton can be quite feisty, which raises his heart rate, which alarms his monitor.  Like I didn't know my baby was screaming his head off.  In order for the monitor to work properly, you have to have the band of leeds attached so tightly it's suffocating (see picture below--the leeds are connected to a soft band that wraps around his chest).  If it's a tad loose, the band can shift and then the alarm sounds inappropriately.  Last night, it alarmed twice telling me he wasn't breathing.  I readjusted his band.  It did that again tonight.  I wish the monitor had wave forms on it so I could tell immediately if it was reading correctly.  My other complaint is that it's annoying to carry around.  When Clayton is hungry, I'd like to be able to carry him into the kitchen while I get his bottle (those are high heart rate moments), but it's too much trouble to move the monitor so I have to set him down and let him scream while I get it (and wait for the monitor to alarm).  But, I suppose I'll take the annoying monitor if it means he's at home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment