Tuesday, October 11, 2011
How much does he have to weigh to come home?
I get asked that question often. If it was based on weight alone, Clayton would be home. Preemies aren't in the NICU only because of weight. Several factors make a ETD a very fluid thing. When we accepted the babysitting service (it's expensive, I wouldn't recommend it), we were told there are 3 requirements for leaving: breathing on his own, maintaining his own body temperature, and taking all feedings by bottle well. Check off the first two. Over the weekend, I thought we could check off the third. Clayton has taken his time with bottle feeding well. About four weeks ago, I asked a nurse how much of a warning I'd get when it's time for Clayton to come home. She told me that I might be told the day before but there were things that would happen in the week before that would clue us in to the fact that it's almost time. Those things include (but aren't limited to) circumcision, hearing screening, a car seat test, the NG tube would be out. Slowly, these things are being put into motion. His NG tube is already out (he pulled it out Saturday night) and his circumcision is happening tomorrow. All of those things could happen right this second, but if he drops his heart rate or oxygen saturation while feeding, he can't come home. So, while we're getting very close to coming home, I can't know when until it happens. This information has been nurse approved...thanks, Callie :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can't wait to know he's home in that sweet nursery!
ReplyDelete