Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Baby Steps

I got to the hospital this morning halfway through Clayton's 8:00 AM feeding (each feeding lasts an hour).  I noticed he had milk on his face and thought that was curious.  Then I thought, Boy!  His face looks great.....until I realized his NG tube was missing (which is why his face looked so free).  At some point during his feeding, he pulled his tube out of his nose.  Normally, he just tugs at it enough to the point it has to be fixed.  Today he pulled it completely out--and milk was pumping onto his face and blankets (it's a slow pump).  I alerted the nurse and she stopped the pump and fixed his tube.  I didn't watch her put it back in, but I stayed in the room and listened to the saddest, most pathetic little cry I can imagine.

During discharge rounds this morning, one of the nurse practitioners said she hasn't been able to hear Clayton's heart murmur over the past few days.  We're hoping it's closed!  Tomorrow is the final day (21 days total) of antibiotics.  I'll be relieved to be finished with the IV.  He'll have a CT scan before he's discharged to make sure there's no meningitis.

One of the physical therapists discussed bottle feeding today and how we start that long process.  At his 11:00 AM feeding, we gave it a shot.  The PT said that he would probably choke and spit and that his heart rate would probably drop.  He did great!  It was only a little bit of milk (5cc), but he drank most of it in 8 minutes.  He never spit or choked and his heart rate only dropped once.  We finished his feeding with the NG tube while doing kangaroo care.  He slept the hardest he has during kangaroo care--it was obvious he was worn out from the bottle.  The PT said we'll probably try it again on Friday.  It'll be a little at a time.



The next pictures are of Craig and Clayton.


You can see Clayton's face so much better without his nasal cannula!  I promise he's not related to E.T.--the red glow is his oxygen saturation monitor.

Clayton is ready to be off antibiotics!

No comments:

Post a Comment