Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Trans-Abdominal Cerclage

Before I talk about my upcoming surgery, I want to give an update on Clayton....you know, for Brandi and the folks at Imperial :)

Clayton will be 2 years old in a little over a month.  He's about 20 pounds and wears 12 months clothes.  His developmental delay gap is shrinking.  He sees his speech therapist every Wednesday.  A developmental therapist comes to our house every Monday.  He sees the physical therapist once a month, but will be discharged at age 2, and an occupational therapist comes to the house every three months.  He is progressing very well.


We moved to a new house in May.  Clayton loves the backyard and the neighbors.  Nothing is happier to him than playing with Riley and Eian.  He has no shortage of energy--he is always kicking a soccer ball or swinging a golf club or baseball bat.

Now to my surgery...
I have a condition called "cervical insufficiency."  The following is taken from the internet:

What does it mean to have cervical insufficiency?

If you have cervical insufficiency, it means that your cervix is effacing and dilating prematurely (before your baby is full term). This might happen in the second or early third trimester if your cervix is softer and weaker than normal or is abnormally short to begin with, as the weight of your growing baby puts increasing pressure on it. There are usually no contractions or other symptoms.
Cervical insufficiency (sometimes called "incompetent cervix") can result in second-trimester miscarriage; preterm premature rupture of the membranes (PPROM), in which your water breaks before you're full-term and before you're in labor; or preterm delivery (before 37 weeks). It particularly increases your risk for early preterm delivery, which means giving birth before 32 weeks.

Most women lose their babies because they and their doctor are unaware of their condition.  Thankfully, my doctor measures the cervix of each pregnant patient.  When she noticed that my cervix was shortening with Clayton, she performed an emergency trans-vaginal cerclage (she tied my cervix closed with fishing line) and put me on bed rest for the remainder of my pregnancy (bed rest began at 18 weeks).  Ultimately, my cerclage failed and I went into pre-term labor and delivered Clayton at 31 weeks, 1 day.  Clayton was in the NICU for 7 weeks and, as I have written above, sees multiple therapists. 

When I discussed the possibility of future pregnancies with my doctor, she encouraged me to research a procedure called "Trans-Abdominal Cerclage", or TAC.  Bascially, they cut you open and put a very strong ring around the top of your cervix that prevents the cervix from opening.  This is a permanent ring and c-sections would therefore be necessary.  The TAC allows a full-term pregnancy with NO BED REST!!!  While there are a handful of doctors across the country, there are really only 2 doctors that perform the surgery regularly.  One, Dr. Haney, is in Chicago and the other, Dr. Davis, is in southern New Jersey.  I have spoken on the phone with both doctors and they are both very nice.  I wanted to have the surgery in Chicago because it is closer to Memphis.  However, Dr. Haney is not covered by my insurance (Cigna).  I asked my friend Michael Williams to pray for this situation--that I would be able to have the surgery.  Fortunately, Michael has a direct line and Dr. Davis (NJ) called to schedule my surgery.

I will meet Dr. Davis on Monday for an ultrasound and will have surgery on Tuesday, July 23 at Kennedy University Hospital in Turnersville, NJ (near Philadelphia).  I will stay in the hospital for one night and will be able to start our drive back home on Wednesday.  I will be a part of a research study to determine if doctors can run a simple test on pregnant women to determine if a woman is at risk of cervical insufficiency.

I appreciate all prayers for safe travels (16 hour drive each way) and successful surgery. 

1 comment: