We left our house around lunch time on Saturday and stopped in Wytheville, Virginia. This was a little past half-way. On Sunday morning, we drove to Harrisonburg, VA, for church. After church, we met one of Craig's cousins at a Mexican restaurant. It started pouring while we were in the restaurant and rained off and on the rest of the day.
We drove through D.C. instead of around it (I love D.C.). Traffic was HORRIBLE in Maryland. We expected Interstate 95 to be a massive highway running to the Northeast--not just 3 lanes. We came upon our first toll (I'm a tightwad and HATE tolls!)--Eight stinking dollars! I've never heard of an $8 toll. We sat in the toll plaza for 30 minutes. I have no idea why it took so long. About ten miles later, there was another $4 toll. We eventually made it to our hotel in Turnersville, NJ--three hours later than our original projected time.
Because my appointment with Dr. Davis was not until 1pm today, we spent the morning in Philadelphia. We toured Independence Hall and saw the Liberty Bell. We ate at John's Roast Pork--a dive whose cheese steak was given very high ratings from several sources. We enjoyed it.
My appointment went well. The doctor answered questions and did an ultrasound to look at my cervix--he measured it at 2.3cm (normal is 4.5cm). Dr. Davis showed me the material he will use to tie around my cervix. They took blood and then we left. I'm supposed to be at the hospital tomorrow around 10:30 AM for surgery around noon.
After the appointment, neither Craig nor I wanted to stay in the hotel room or in Turnersville. We drove down to Cape May. It's at the southern tip of the NJ peninsula--just south of Atlantic City. It was a beautiful little town. It has a light house, but we didn't climb it--have to save those dollars for the toll roads (if you make a wrong turn on a highway, you'll have to pay a toll to exit and then to re-enter the opposite direction). We parked at the light house (a state park) and walked down to the beach. I knew the water would be cool, but I didn't expect it to be freezing COLD! There was a WW2 bunker on the beach--I didn't realize the U.S. built bunkers along the coast during WW2. We enjoyed an ice cream cone before walking around the "downtown" area of Cape May. Most of the architecture was Victorian and the houses/yards were gorgeous. This was definitely a tourist destination, but there were no highrise hotels or resorts; instead, quaint bed and breakfasts and summer rental homes lined the narrow streets. We ate dinner in Cape May before driving back to our hotel. I'm really glad we went to the coast.
Somehow I don't think tomorrow will be as enjoyable as today was....
No comments:
Post a Comment