Thursday, January 5, 2012

Hot Chocolate Mama

All cupcakes are not created equal.  A very sweet student brought me a box of Gigi's cupcakes today and we ate them for dessert tonight.  While I sincerely appreciate the thoughtfulness of my student, it reaffirmed my love for Muddy's.  I grow weary of listening to people talk about Gigi's.  Dearest Muddy's, how do I love thee?  Let me count the ways....

$1.60 per cupcake.  (Gigi's is $3)

Local.  There's only 1 Muddy's.  It's always the same smiling faces behind the glass counter.  You can get Gigi's all over the country. 

So moist.  When you squeeze the chocolate cake, oil drips out.  Ok, not really--but it's that moist.  Gigi's is so dry.

Perfect icing.  It's the perfect sweetness and perfect amount.  You can actually eat a Muddy's cupcake with your hands.  You could eat a Gigi's cupcake with your hands, but you'd dislocate your jaw.  A fork and plate are required for Gigi's--way too much icing.

---

I look at Muddy's website daily just to look at their cupcakes.  I discuss with my students which cupcake they'd choose if we took a field trip.  My favorite is Capote--chocolate cake with white icing.  Perfect.   www.muddysbakeshop.com

---

So, the title of this blog post.  There were two chocolate/chocolate cupcakes in the box my student brought.  I tried one and it was just a simple (but dry) chocolate cake with chocolate butter cream icing.  When we tried the other one,  it left our tongues burning.  We looked on Gigi's website to see what the cupcake was....Hot Chocolate Mama--cayenne pepper in the cake and icing.  It had a cayenne pepper heart on top...my mom got that and knew immediately something was amiss. 

Once you eat Muddy's, you'll never want a cupcake from anywhere else.

1 comment:

  1. The King at Muddy's rules in my book. Mom dropped off some Gigi's last trip. I enjoyed a bite of a chocolate and peanut butter but princess wasn't great. Tye took one home that had bacon and maple syrup in it. He still hasn't stopped talking about good that one was but he doesn't really like sweets. I'll miss Muddy's but for the pimento cheese too.

    ReplyDelete