Everywhere I go (ok, that's not very many places...), I get asked why I don't have Clayton with me. I always feel like people are judging me for keeping Clayton away from crowds and GERMS. I am sure they are just eager to see him, but I get asked weekly by the same people.
I didn't know anything about premature babies before I had Clayton and I still don't claim to know much. But what I do know: Preemies are different. Period. Most people (I was one of them, I suppose) think that once a baby hits his or her due date, he or she is caught up with a term baby. (I suddenly feel like I've already posted about this.....maybe I have, but I'm too lazy to look.) That's simply not the case. Premature babies are not term babies. Clayton is very healthy, but he's not a term baby. Preemies are at a greater risk of infection than term babies. If he got RSV, it'd be much more severe for him than a term baby. He does get a monthly shot (synagis) to lessen the effects of RSV if he were to get it, but that doesn't mean I need to throw caution to the wind. I will not return to the hospital because I got him around crowds too early. He won't be around crowds until this spring.
When people ask me constantly why I didn't bring him to church or school or wherever, I just want to answer, "Because I don't want my baby to get your germs..." But I guess that'd be rude.
Can you tell it was a rough night?
I'm sending you a hug... You do what is best for that baby and rest of us will just wait for pictures!
ReplyDeleteGod knew what He was doing when He sent Clayton to you. You were made to be a his mom!
ReplyDelete